Don't let that get to you!
“Don’t let that get to you!” Does that drive you nuts when people say that to you? Same here! It does get to us and once it does there is little we can do about it.
The noisy neighbour we tried to ignore; the colleague who has the annoying habit of giving unsolicited (and condescending) advice; the friends who have the talent to make everything revolve around them; people who constantly ask you for favours but are always too busy to help you when you need them. The list is endless.
So what can we do?
- Firstly, we do have a right to be angry. Acknowledge that.
- Secondly, work out why it gets to you. Self-knowledge is a powerful tool.
- Then think of options to avoid it in the future.
- Now work out the consequences of those options. Think about it for a while.
- Choose one option and just do it. Take action!